Water: check. Next step: heat.
Submitted by murph on 29 August 2007 - 11:46am. houseone
The major project of year one in Houseone has been keeping out the water. Between soggy roofing and rivulets of water running across the basement floor during every rain, water was a significant issue when we moved in. However, this month gave us about two weeks of daily rain, much of it quite heavy, with the net effect of small amounts of dampness detectable at the basement wall-floor intersection. I'd say we've got the water problem pretty well solved.
The next major issue, looking at my spreadsheet of utility costs, is clearly heating. Our baseline cooking + hot water cost is about $1/day, but that spikes to $5-$6/day in January and February. Some of the window caulking we've done should help, and the new front door en route will do wonders. But some of the water repairs pushed us backwards on heating.
Our old roof had no ventilation - hence the sogginess. The new roof is properly ventilated (not to mention, you know, leak free). While our attic floors are insulated (or maybe "insulated"), the walls aren't so much. This is particularly a problem where the single-story sections of roof butt up against the walls of the second story, where we've got nothing but plaster between outside Michigan air and our hopefully non-frigid living space - I probably could have stored meat in the closet this winter. The rest of the walls aren't such an urgent problem - plaster inside plus 3 layers of siding outside provide decent insulation, but I think I need to spend some quality time in the attic crawls with some fiberglass. Fun.